The current appearance of the Průhonice Castle is the result of a number of reconstructions and transformations of an originally medieval Gothic castle. The first written mention of the Průhonice owners comes from the 1270s. The Castle had many owners and the grounds most often served for agricultural purposes. After 1800, Johann Nepomuk Nostic-Rieneck launched an extensive reconstruction of the Castle in Classicist style. The family heiress, Maria Antonia Nostic-Rieneck, married Count Ernst Emanuel Silva-Tarouca in 1885. Her husband reconstructed the Castle in the Bohemian neo-Renaissance style and founded a large park in its vicinity. The reconstruction took place between 1889 and 1893 based on the design by architect Jiří Stibral.